Thursday, June 23, 2011

Portal 2 and Pottermore Excitement

Today the new Harry Potter project, Pottermore, was released to the glory of the Internet.  While it is only letting people register their emails, i'm still SO EXCITED I CAN'T STAND IT. Sadly, the stupid "submit email" button isn't really working, so i just keep refreshing the page.  I got it to work once, but then it timed out because it was taking too long to load, so i think i'm going to have to wait a little longer until the site has its kinks worked out.   31 July, here i come. 

So, i just wanted to share with you the first intarsia in-the-round project that i ever designed and knitted myself: my Portal hat.  Here it is modeled on my brother Trevor, although it currently belongs to Nick, a friend of mine, since it didn't quite fit onto Boyfriend's large cranium. 

I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes for the black body, and then just used scrap yarns for the intarsia parts.  The orange "portal" is actually a slippery cotton yarn (i do not recommend using it next to wool.), Knit Picks Comfy.  The blue is Malabrigo Worsted in Bobby Blue, and the white is some mystery wool from my stash.  
 I wanted the portals to be really tilted and freeform, just like the ones in the game that "glow".  I also added a few random stitches knit in the portal colors to mirror the gels that are featured in Portal 2. 
I absolutely loved graphing out the portals, but i think that it would be better suited with a thinner yarn. The inside of this hat is truly a hot mess.  
I did do some lettering on the back, first time doing that too:
No matter how messy it is, i loved this project, about as much as i loved the game (maybe a little less).
THE DEER IS A LIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment